We envision an inclusive community where people of diverse sexual orientation and gender identity are visible and live together in equality, respect and happiness.
The Jim Toy Community Center is a resource center that exists to provide information, education, social events, and advocacy by and for the Queer and Ally community in the Washtenaw County area. JTCC welcomes all who support its mission to participate in its activities.
About Jim Toy, the namesake of the new community center
- First publicly out queer in Michigan
- Co-author of Ann Arbor’s non-discrimination policy in regard to sexual orientation and gender identity and expression
- One of the founders of the Ann Arbor Gay Liberation Front and the Detroit Gay Liberation Movement
- Co-founder of the first office at any university in the world devoted to sexual orientation concerns, the Lesbian-Gay Male Programs Office at the University of Michigan—now known as the Spectrum Center
- Co-author of the first official “Lesbian-Gay Pride Week Proclamation” by a governing body in the U.S.: the Ann Arbor City Council
- Founding member of the PFLAG/Ann Arbor, GLSEN/Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti Area, WRAP, Transgender Advocacy Project, Washtenaw Rainbow Neighbors, Washtenaw Faith Action Network, and the Out Loud Chorus